Monday, April 25, 2016

Stop the NOISE #MondayMotivation #AmWriting

I'm in a decluttering mood. In the past few months, I've narrowed down my Facebook "networking" groups to just a few (3 to be exact), cut all non-personal connections from my personal Facebook page and encouraged them to connect with me via LinkedIn or on my author pages, and I've started enforcing office hours with an iron fist.

Why? I'm self-employed, aren't I supposed to be accessible at all times no matter what? NO!

Today I went through my email inbox and unsubscribed from all emails that aren't important to me. I love reading blog articles and sometimes I've needed to subscribe to finish reading the article; however, this has led to my email inbox being so cluttered that I miss clients' emails or authors who want to guest on one of my blogs. It's madness. If I haven't found an unsubscribe button, I've emailed directly and asked to please remove me from their email list.

I know we're all encouraged to build our email lists for marketing purposes, but some people take it too far with multiple emails a day or even multiple emails a week. Yes, I have multiple email accounts for business, author, and personal, but all of them have gotten out of hand. So, today I took the initiative to unsubscribe to all but a few that I actually seek out.

Your email inbox is valuable real estate as a soloprenuer. Take charge of it so you don't miss valuable messages that could be your next big deal! Seriously, I had to weed through it to find important messages from clients and that was the last straw. I pride myself on promptly getting back to people and don't want my reputation ruined because someone has yet another web class or blog post that I don't care about.

If you have a large email list, keep in mind that the recipients don't want to start feeling bombarded by you. Yes, those lists can be effective marketing tools, but if you are seen as pushy or 'spammy', you'll end up alienating your colleagues and prospective customers. Personally, I only email a newsletter once a month. This way, when people see something from me in their inbox, it's unusual and they're more likely to take notice than if they have seen my name five times a week.

Streamlining my contacts and social media has also helped me feel that I'm not wasting time. As a soloprenuer, focus is essential. I can't waste it wading through group messages that mean nothing to me, networking with people who really don't have a clue, or endless "do me this favor" emails that truly don't benefit my ultimate goals at all. Yes, I used the word "me" there a lot--and that's okay. This is my business and my productivity effects my bottom line. With every endeavour--every email list I subscribe to--I need to be conscious of whether this is propelling me forward or dragging me down.

Look at your business email inbox--is it filled with only the things that you need today to be effective? Is there useful information there that can help you in performing better? If not, unsubscribe. Now look at your social media, especially Facebook networking groups. Narrow it down to the top three and either quit or hide the rest so you can focus in on only those that lift you up and support you.  You will feel like a load is lifted once you take charge of the noise you allow into your space.

Write on!
Amber Lea Easton
http://www.moxiegirlwriting.com

Amber Lea Easton is a multi-published author of nonfiction, thrillers, and romantic suspense. A professional editor and freelance journalist for nearly two decades, she created Mountain Moxie Publishing Services to assist authors in mastering the writing craft. Her memoir, Free Fall, is dedicated to spreading suicide awareness, has topped international best selling charts, and has been named by Dr. Prem as fourth on the "Ten Most Inspiring True Stories Everyone Must Read" list. Easton is also a speaker regarding parenting through trauma and suicide awareness. To discover more about Mountain Moxie Publishing Services, please go to http://www.moxiegirlwriting.com. For a list of all of Easton's books, articles and interviews, go to http://www.amberleaeaston.com


1 comment:

  1. You have so much good advice! I hate the email spam I get and rarely look at any of it. Still, I need to somehow get a mailing list going. Can you believe I don't? UGH. So much to do, so little time. Thank you for sharing these. You have no idea how helpful it is!

    ReplyDelete