Monday, July 27, 2015

Stop Waiting for Your Muse #MondayBlogs #Amwriting

Monday Motivation


I hear it all the time, "I could write a novel if I had the time" or "I'd write more if I didn't have a family to raise." I'm calling bullshit on all of that.

I was widowed ten years ago, which left me as an only parent of two small children who were ages eight and seven. Between then and now, I've written and published sixteen novels on top of a freelancing and developing an editorial career. I work from home, which means constant interruptions. I've never missed a swim meet, lacrosse game, school play, or anything else. My secret? I wanted to write more than I wanted to make an excuse not to sit my butt down at the computer.

People who wait for inspiration or time or the mythical muse will be waiting a very long time while accomplishing nothing. Writer's block, you say? I don't believe you. I've never had writer's block because I make myself write even if I know what I'm putting down on the page isn't the best it could be. When writing that first draft all that matters is bleeding your heart onto the page. Leave quality control for the revisions that follow. WRITE!

If something is important to you, then no excuse in the world will keep you from doing it. I used to edit my manuscripts in the front seat of my car while waiting for my son to finish lacrosse practice. I carried my manuscript with me while my daughter took driver's education classes so I could work on revisions while I waited in the lobby. There is always enough time for what you love.

Put down the smartphone. Stay away from funny videos on YouTube. Ignore your Facebook timeline.  Carve out time to create your dream. Make it happen for you!

Write on!
Amber Lea Easton


No comments:

Post a Comment